Department of History
Office: Ballantine 832
E-mail address: email@example.com
Prof. Machado specializes in eighteenth- and nineteenth-century Indian Ocean social, cultural and economic networks, and their dynamics of circulation and mobility.
Prof. Machado recently completed his first book, Ocean of Trade: South Asian Merchants, Africa and the Indian Ocean, c. 1750-1850, which will be published in September 2014 by Cambridge University Press.
Select Honors and Awards
- Indiana University College Arts and Humanities Institute, Research Travel Grant, 2014.
- Indiana University Office of the Vice President for International Affairs, Language Learning Grant, 2014.
- Indiana University Trustees Teaching Award, 2012.
- University of Pittsburgh World History Center, Visiting Scholar, 2011-12.
- Santa Clara University Provost’s Research Award, 2007-08.
- New York University Center For Teaching Excellence Award, 2006.