Prof. Sutton investigates education and cultural change both outside and inside the U.S., with research and publications on educational policy formation in international assistance agencies; gender and education in the Third World; comparative multicultural policies; and on citizenship and education around the world.
Prof. Sutton has conducted research on the professionalization of teachers in Indonesia as well how the tourism industry in Bali intersects with issues of governance and social science research.
Selected Honors and Awards
- Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching, Indiana University, 2002
- Excellence in Mentoring Award, Graduate Women's Education Network, School of Education, Indiana University, 2002
- Faculty Mentor Award (Professional School Faculty member), Graduate and Professional Student Organization, Indiana University Bloomington, 2002
- Trustees' Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2002
- Trustees' Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2001
- Teaching Excellence Recognition Award, Indiana University, 2000
- Teaching Excellence Recognition Award, Indiana University, 1999
- Technical Achievement Award, Academy for Educational Development, 1995